Re: Oracle 9i Performance on SPARCE 450 Solaris 5.7

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 15:29:52 GMT

> I have 1G mem
> and Oracle is already consuming 1/2 of it and so I cannot increase any
> SGA and hence db_buffer_cache.
> [snip]
> SQL> show sga
>
> Total System Global Area 537691892 bytes
> Fixed Size 280308 bytes
> Variable Size 419430400 bytes
> Database Buffers 117440512 bytes
> Redo Buffers 540672 bytes

Do you really need 400M+ for the variable portion of the SGA? Your buffer cache is approx 20% of the total SGA. I'm not saying that these figures are wrong, cuz they very well could be right. But you might want to look at lowering the variable size of your SGA and throwing the savings in to the buffer cache. Just a suggestion.....

Have you re-analyzed everything? The CBO in 9i is different than 8i and the old 8i stats could be throwing things off.

HTH,
Brian Received on Wed Nov 06 2002 - 09:29:52 CST