Re: performance

From: Telemachus <telemachus_at_ulysseswillreturn.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 11:38:54 -0000

CPU usage that high is (possibly) lots of Hash Joins (a few big ones) but they normally don't take that long.

One could probably put the question back.

Are the queries running in an unacceptable time ? Why do you think Oracle is responsible ? are there other processes on the machine besides YOUR ONE AND ONLY QUERY ?

Read Designing and Tuning for performance available on tahiti.oracle.com

But Jeremy S. said it - the No. 1 improvements result in changing the application to query better.

PS : All : I'm thinking about starting a crusade against people who use the word 'performant'.
Suitable punishments include being forced to eat the 9.2 documentation set (printed not the CD's - you're not getting away that easy )

psst : use ALTER SYSTEM set "_secret_event_remove_speed_governer=true"; ignore the ORA-2065 error.
that's put in by Oracle to let their support get good results when they dial in.

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:_q5y9.70343$g9.199512_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> "Jeremy Smith" <alceste_at_xmission.xmission.com> wrote in message
> > tshen <tshen01_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > hi, guys:
> >
> > > Our DB machine's CPU usage is like following:
> > > Idle 0% user 98.2% kernal 0.8% iowait 1%
> > > what happen here is that we don't that many users,and some of our
SQL
> > > statement is huge, since, modify these SQL statement take time. so, is
> there
> > > anyway else that I can tuning so prove the performance a little.
thanks.