Re: Oracle 8i Standard Edition

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 22:06:44 +1100

6 Nov 2002 02:55:49 -0800, Ermin said (and I quote):
> Does Oracle 8i Standard Edition supports multi processors servers.
> Basically, the question is: Will database know how to use 2 or 4 processor machine?

Ermin,

Only databases designed around the "shared-nothing" model have this problem of using one or more CPUs. Namely: Sybase, SQL Server and UDB.

Oracle has been multi-CPU aware since they became widely available back in the early 90s. And it already was even before that. V5, IIRC, was the first version I used in a two CPU DEC.

There is no limitation whatsoever in any version of Oracle as to how many CPUs it can use. It's all to do with the OS. If it supports scheduling to the available CPUs, then Oracle can run on them.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto