Re: performance

From: Jeremy Smith <alceste_at_xmission.xmission.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 04:44:25 +0000 (UTC)

tshen <tshen01_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> hi, guys:

> Our DB machine's CPU usage is like following:
> Idle 0% user 98.2% kernal 0.8% iowait 1%
> what happen here is that we don't that many users,and some of our SQL
> statement is huge, since, modify these SQL statement take time. so, is there
> anyway else that I can tuning so prove the performance a little. thanks.

It's a bit confusing what you're saying here. I _think_ what you're saying is that you have few users, some huge SQL statements, and you're looking for some ways to tune your database without tuning your SQL? Please let us know if that's not correct.

If it is, I don't think you're going to get many positive responses to that request. It's accepted as an axiom by everyone who could tell you anything useful about tuning the database that you need to start by making a concerted effort to improve your SQL.

Jer Received on Tue Nov 05 2002 - 22:44:25 CST