Re: Query tuning experts: Any hope for tuning query with 5+ joins and a sort?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 11:38:12 +1100

5 Nov 2002 11:27:05 -0800, Brent said (and I quote):

> It may not help in all but I've had some dramatic performance
> increases by playing with these parameters, and have yet to see a case
> where the defualts were appropriate.

Yup, very much the same here. Unfortunately, for a very long time those two parameters were "off limits" for the common mortal. The default values are, quite simply, completely inadequate for the vast majority of installations.
A pity. That did more to create problems for users and undermine confidence in the product than anything else Oracle could have done...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto