Re: dbverify and analyze table difference

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 16:41:44 GMT

Sven Tieste wrote:

> Hello,
> we have a problem comparing dbverify (dbv) vs analyze table output.
> At first we are using Oracle 8.1.7.3 on a Alpha 1000/400 Cluster with
> OpenVMS 7.1-1.
> We received an error during dbv a archived .DBS-file. A similar error
> was found with analyze table (which was found with the page output of dbv).
> So, we export the table, dropped it and import it. After that analyze table
> gives
> no error. We create a online backup. But with dbv we got the same error as
> before (analyze table has been tested again and runs with no error again)
> What's wrong? Is there an error or not?
> Thanks in advance for help.
> greetings,
> Sven Tieste
>
> DBVerify output:
> DBVERIFY: Release 8.1.7.3.0 - Production on Di Nov 5 07:06:36 2002
>
> (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> DBVERIFY - Verification starting : FILE = ora_user_bst.dbs
> Block Checking: DBA = 37751597, Block Type = KTB-managed data block
> kdbchk: the amount of space used is not equal to block size
> used=1615 fsc=289 avsp=186 dtl=1952
> Page 2861 failed with check code 6110
>
> DBVERIFY - Verification complete
>
> Total Pages Examined : 30720
> Total Pages Processed (Data) : 2888
> Total Pages Failing (Data) : 1
> Total Pages Processed (Index): 1840
> Total Pages Failing (Index): 0
> Total Pages Processed (Other): 42
> Total Pages Empty : 25950
> Total Pages Marked Corrupt : 0
> Total Pages Influx : 0

I think you are mixing apples and lug nuts. DBV verifies the integrity of the datafile ... not its contents. To fix a DBV related problem could well mean creating a new datafile and moving the contents of the old one. Analyze is looking at the integrity of logical structures within the datafile. So I think you have a problem ... but not one you will fix by dropping or testing a table.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Nov 05 2002 - 10:41:44 CST