Re: Question on selecting rows in table

From: Avi Abrami <aabrami_at_intersystemsww.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 16:22:28 +0200

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> JohnO wrote:
>
> > I need to select portions of a table for parallel processing,

[Further explanation removed]

> > Thanks!
>
> I have a real problem when people write "I need to" followed by a description
> of what they "WANT" to do.
>
> I would suggest that you restate the request as a business problem

[Further comments removed]

> Daniel Morgan

JohnO,
What Daniel is trying to say (in his inimitable, delicate and polite way), is that you are probably making a common mistake that is made by a lot of people, in that you are asking how to implement your proposed solution, when it is probably better (for you) if you would ask what possible solutions exist for the problem you are currently trying to solve.

Usually, if someone asks how to implement a given solution, it means that their proposed solution is not the most suitable. So, as Daniel says, perhaps it would be more beneficial (to you) if you stated what the problem is (that you are trying to solve).

In any case, you shouldn't get too upset by Daniel's tone (just in case you were) -- he uses the same tone in most of his postings to the newsgroups. It's not because he's got some special grudge against you, or something.

Avi. Received on Tue Nov 05 2002 - 08:22:28 CST