Re: Incorrect Oracle Sysdate

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 16:46:54 GMT

tvf wrote:

> We are running an old CRM app (Scopus) and are in the process of
> evaluating a replacement. I recently copied the backend Oracle 7.3.4
> database from Solaris 2.6 to new hardware running Solaris 8. I've
> since noticed that the Oracle sysdate command now returns GMT and this
> is screwing up the timestamps that the app is using. I cannot change
> the code in the app to stop it from using sysdate. Is there a way I
> can update the Oracle sysdate so that it reflects the OS date/time? Is
> setting the init.ora parameter fixed_date the only way to do this?
>
> # uname -a
> SunOS xxx.xxx.com 5.8 Generic_108528-07 sun4u sparc
> SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise
> # date
> Mon Nov 4 09:45:10 CST 2002
>
> --
> Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.4.0.1 - Production
> PL/SQL Release 2.3.4.0.0 - Production
>
> SQL> select to_char(sysdate, 'mm/dd/yyyy hh:miAM') from dual;
> TO_CHAR(SYSDATE,'MM/DD/YYYYHH:MIAM')
> 11/04/2002 03:45PM
>
> Thank you for your time.

SYSDATE is SYSDATE is SYSDATE. What you are seeing is formatting caused by the character set or an NLS Parameter.

As you are working with paleolithic software you can't alter the character set. But you should be able to alter the NLS Parameter to have it formatted as you wish.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Nov 04 2002 - 10:46:54 CST