Re: How to remove Oracle DB service under win 2000

From: Andras Kovacs <andkovacs_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Nov 2002 08:14:33 -0800

Hi Harry,

I did this job just yestarday and it is not easy. On Windows 2000 I tried to upgrade Oracle 8i to Oracle EE 8. There is a long check list. Oracle advises just to uninstall the software and reinstalle the EE version.
It didn't work at all on our two machines. Basically I decided to export the entire database and reimport it. Here is what I did:

  1. Export of the original DB.
  2. Stop all oracle services.
  3. Clean the registry. Use regedit.exe and search for Oracle key. Remove all key that references Oracle.
  4. Remove ORACLE_SID, LOCAL, ORACLE_HOME etc ... from your settings.
  5. Remove the old oracle 8i directories
  6. Reboot the machines.
  7. Install oracle EE. It will hang when configuring the Listener ... Stop the installer and kill the jrew.exe running.
  8. Configure the listener
  9. Set ORACLE_SID and LOCAL
  10. Create the oracle service with oradim
  11. Create the DB with Create Database
  12. Import your DB from your export file.

There are more detailled articles in this news group on how to uninstall oracle.
For a 20GB database it takes 7 hours all this work.

Good luck, Andras