Re: How to remove Oracle DB service under win 2000

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 06:25:54 +1100

It happens, unfortunately.

What you are supposed to do is to use the oradim tool to remove the service. The syntax is easy enough to check by doing oradim /? at the command prompt, but in any case it goes like this:

oradim -DELETE -SID xxx

OR

oradim -DELETE -SERVICE xxxx

Because you've re-installed Oracle Enterprise Edition, you should be able to use oradim to do this. But, as a tip, it is sensible to use oradim *first* in future, because removing Oracle's executables also takes oradim along for the ride, and you're therefore left with the service for ever more. The other way of doing this is to use the Database Configuration Assistant to *delete* a database -again, before doing the uninstall of the Oracle executables, obviously.

Fortunately, there are other ways of achieving the same thing. The Microsoft Resource Kit contains a service remover. You can also download freebie service removers (for example, Service Manager at http://www.l5sg.com/). And if all else fails, you can manually clean out your registry where the services are listed under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Services.

Regards