Re: 90GB table on Windows 2000

From: Al Dykes <adykes_at_panix.com>
Date: 3 Nov 2002 11:15:39 -0500

In article <o2zp9.961$gr6.1638_at_rwcrnsc53>, Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com> wrote:
>I remember a local hospital system that moved their data center. So
>naturally they had to turn the Unix (hpux) machines off to do the move.
>They had trouble getting all their services and so forth running again
>because some of those boxes had been running for years and people had kicked
>off demons and forgotten to put them in the start up scripts. (and those
>people had left.)

I've managed Netware, VMS, Unix, and NT/w2k servers, in the same room, in the same timeframe. IMHO they are stable in the order I listed them. The version of VMS we were running (5.5-2) was circa 1992, on 1990 iron. NW was rock solid but all we asked of it was file services. The NW software we added at one point did not require rebooting. (Never ran Tandem but I know people that do. That's the last word in uptime.)

(the last NW server I decomissioned had an uptime of 2 years and was shut down only because the hardware lease was up. It was an ordinary PC, with all parts NW-certified parts.)

In my experience NT/w2k can be stable, given good hardware and well-behaved applications, but there are still too many reasons why it has to be rebooted in a complex and changing environment, such as keeping up with security patches.

NT/w2k is still not where VMS was 10 years ago. FWIW server-side web applications, XML, SOAP and all this new-fangled java stuff seems to make MS operating systems scalable and highly available by massive redundancy. I just get a headache thinking of the cost of the MS software licenses.

--
Al Dykes