TEMP tablespace problem

From: Guy <ni4ni_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 Nov 2002 06:04:56 -0800

Hello

Ive been dealing with Oracle for few years now, but havent seen this kind of problem before.

When I install a new DB, I usually set a TEMP tablespace with 200-500MB of space. And unless the database has really huge sorts, this works fine.
Now I got a DB that was installed by someone else. The TEMP tablespace grows and grows and it seems like it isnt cleaned at all. If I set a size limit (say 500 MB) it eats it up in 2-3 days and then it gets stuck with full tablespace. If I set it to auto-extend it continues to grow and in about a week I end up with a 14 GB tablespace (then I have to recreate it).

Does anyone have an idea why this happens ? or any solution ? Doesnt TEMP tablespace supposed to clean unnecessary data ? Received on Sun Nov 03 2002 - 08:04:56 CST