Embedded SQL Problem: Cursor, Fetch

From: Eddie <edmondkkmo_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Nov 2002 20:35:17 -0800

Hello all,

I am a newbie in using embedded SQL with oracle server. I will really appreciate any help from the experts around here.

I am working on a small project that deals with a grading system. Every other parts of the project have been done, but I am having a problem that is driving me crazy. In the portions of code
below:

EXEC SQL declare grade_cur cursor for

   select last, first, phone, gender
   from student
   where last = :last and first = :first;

EXEC SQL open grade_cur;

EXEC SQL fetch grade_cur into :last, :first, :phone, :gender;

if (sqlca.sqlcode != 0)

   printf("oops!\n");

the word "oops" is printed everytime i run the program. When I checked the values of :last, :first, :phone and :gender, they are all nulls. I can sucessfully use the other SQL constructs like "select", "insert", etc without any problem. How come "cursor" doesn't work? I have beening searching for an answer in the newsgroup, but so far I couldn't
find any. I noticed some comments on "fetch" that it won't work if the connection to the database is lost. It caused me to check the Oracle DBA studio, and I discovered that the session where my programm connected to has
it's status being "inactive". Can this be the problem? Thanks for any suggestions.

Eddie

How to make the status of a session active in oracle DBA studio Received on Fri Nov 01 2002 - 22:35:17 CST