Re: Consequence of switching to ARCHIVE = False without Alter Database Noarch cmd

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 22:44:24 +1000

Hi Ton,

All will be well until the time comes to overwrite the redo log you started with.

It will not have been archived, as you've turned off automatic archiving but Oracle will refuse to over write it as the database is still in archivelog mode.

Hence LGWR is unable to write down to the redo log hence the redo log buffer gets full.

Hence transactions are unable to complete as they can't write to the full redo log buffer.

Hence the term "database is running that a stunned mullet" comes to mind ;)

Not a good consequence.

Cheers

Richard