Re: Oracle slow after adding datafile

From: Jake S <nospam_at_nospam.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:41:23 GMT

"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message news:aprrfl02dv9_at_drn.newsguy.com...
> In article <wJ9w9.352$mA4.13937_at_read2.inet.fi>, "Jake says...
> >
> >Hi,
> >There is a production database server (SunOS) with Oracle 8.1.7.
installed.
> >There was only a 500M datafile that was filled during testing phase. I
added
> >another datafile, this time 5000M. Right after that, I was told that it's
> >not enough and I added a third one, this time 30 000M.
> >
> >All data was deleted and another testing was started. This time they tell
me
> >that Oracle is exceptionally slow. They noticed it right away but all I
did
> >was that I added two datafiles with alter tablespace. Any ideas why this
> >might have happened or how to fix it?
> >
> >- Jake -
> >

> When you say "All data was deleted", my immediate response is how? If
they've
> done a delete from table, rather than a drop and recreate or a truncate,
the
> highwater mark is still where it was from the previous test. End result
could
> be worse performance, depending on number of rows in the earlier test.
>
> HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.
>
> Pete
>
> SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

That was something I didn't know. I think they might have used delete instead of truncate. Production staff reported about 5-20 second delays when one message was inserted. One message includes a few queries and two inserts.
Another insert is adds a blob also. Could it be that the performance drops so much?