Re: Control Chars in Filename

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:47:08 +0200

Peter van Rijn wrote:

> Did you ever read Billy's original post on the subject?
> I don't think he will face a problem soon. (will you Billy?)

The cause of the problem was a bit silly. A tablespace had to be recreated. The datafiles were overeagerly zapped before the tablespace could be dropped. This tablespace used for rollbacks. Nothing serious. No data lost. Db up and running again after 15 minutes (of a very desperate me trying to figure out how to drop a datafile containing control chars :-).

What is serious is bringing up a data warehouse after an o/s upgrade and then having to drop one by one every single file in the database, as the raw disk headers became corrupt... and then resorting to backups which then fails to work too as the backup method was inadequate.. all thanks to the vendor who forced the backup method be accepted by the client.. and then failed to perform the upgrade in the correct sequence. Now that is a problem.. :-)

Vendor in question is no more. No wonder.

I did have Oracle support keeping me company though.. from dusk to dawn.. from the UK to Australia to the US.. as this priority TAR was passed from one support centre to another on a 24x7 basis. Pretty impressive.

--
Billy