Re: ddl help

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 06:17:52 +1100

Suddenly, the world and its oyster doesn't believe a thing I post any more!

You believe incorrectly for the most part: all that is required is that the datafile (hence the tablespace) is offline. So what I posted works.

Now: which datafile can you NEVER take offline? Correct: SYSTEM.

So if it was the SYSTEM datafile you wanted to move/rename, you would indeed have to get the entire database into the MOUNT state, since that is the only way of being able both to move/rename the file and tell the Control File what you've done.

It is also true that you can't take a rollback (or undo) tablespace offline if it's storing current rollback. So the MOUNT technique would be used for them too.

But that's two tablespaces where you have to be in the MOUNT state, and potentially 64,000+ others where you don't. And if you read the original poster's question, you'll see no mention of the words 'SYSTEM', 'ROLLBACK' or 'UNDO', so it's a reasonable bet that it's just an ordinary tablespace that can indeed be taken offline.

I don't just make this stuff up, you know!

Regards