Re: Oracle slow after adding datafile

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 31 Oct 2002 10:06:45 -0800

In article <wJ9w9.352$mA4.13937_at_read2.inet.fi>, "Jake says...

>Hi,
>There is a production database server (SunOS) with Oracle 8.1.7. installed.
>There was only a 500M datafile that was filled during testing phase. I added
>another datafile, this time 5000M. Right after that, I was told that it's
>not enough and I added a third one, this time 30 000M.
>
>All data was deleted and another testing was started. This time they tell me
>that Oracle is exceptionally slow. They noticed it right away but all I did
>was that I added two datafiles with alter tablespace. Any ideas why this
>might have happened or how to fix it?
>
>- Jake -

When you say "All data was deleted", my immediate response is how? If they've done a delete from table, rather than a drop and recreate or a truncate, the highwater mark is still where it was from the previous test. End result could be worse performance, depending on number of rows in the earlier test.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Thu Oct 31 2002 - 12:06:45 CST