Re: Oracle 9i transfer of data

From: michael ngong <mngong_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 Oct 2002 05:56:24 -0800

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<d3p0su8v21sde5v3q0vb0cl9tncjbmj0sq_at_4ax.com>...
> On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:14:50 -0000, "mh579" <mh579_at_bluecarrots.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Could you please help with the following query?
> >
> >Currently our databases are stand-alone Oracle 8, with data exported by
> >table as a flat file on magnetic media. These flat files are then imported
> >into another database using sqlloader etc.
> >
> >However we are upgrading to Oracle 9i and the systems will be networked
> >together. The system will have unique ip addresses and computer names and
> >unique database names.
> >
> >My question is, can the data from the required tables be "assembled" into an
> >XML file and then sent to the recieving database and re-imported etc using
> >Oracle queing etc. We are going the XML way, with the days change data for
> >each database which is sent to a "master database" to form a global
> >database.
> >
> >Thanks for any assistance.
> >

> >Martin
> >

> Why use XML, if you can insert directly using database links.
> IMO, this is just as cumbersome as your flat file communication.
>
> Regards
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

If you are networking your system.Except I am missing something . Export/Import your tables/? ftp them to the server of choice and import directly to the database /or create database links as mentioned in the previous thread connect to source and create table as select * though that may be more resource intensive than an export/import

Michael Tubuo Ngong Received on Thu Oct 31 2002 - 07:56:24 CST