Re: Control Chars in Filename

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:52:57 +0200

Eric Parker wrote:

> Another solution (assuming the filename is "abc<unknown
> characters>xyz.dbf") is to enter
>
> rm -i abc*xyz.dbf
>
> then pressing y or n appropriately as prompted.

Eric, the problem was not rm'ing the file via Unix shell scripting.

It was passing a string literal to Oracle that contained the correct filename, including the control characters.

The SQL command is:
ALTER DATABASE
  DATAFILE '<filename>' OFFLINE DROP;

This must be passed to Oracle via a client such as SQL*Plus. The problem was how to get those control characters into that literal... to which the solution we used was to put this command in a Unix text file, using vi to insert those control chars, and then running the text file through Server Manager as STDIN.

--
Billy