Re: ORACLE DBA questions for INTERVIEW

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 31 Oct 2002 22:25:20 -0600

On 31 Oct 2002, tcostello_at_mail.colgate.edu wrote:
> Dunno, take this as you will, but what some of you are describing
> is a test, not an interview. From a employee's perspective, I
> would be insulted at the "What is the difference between explicit
> and implicit cursors" type questions. That's just upsurd.

Why? The two people don't know each other and they have a very finite amount of time. Ask escalatingly hard questions is usually a good motto.

> A more appropiate question would be something like: We've been getting
> complaints of slow performance on a new procedure, how would you begin
> to analyze the problem?

This is way too open-ended to be compared with the previous question. They both have their place in an interview. The former to see that you understand a concept and can explain it. The latter, that you have done this before and that you think on your feet.

> Still, a pretty lame question, but something I would be much
> happier to answer. You should be beyond this point at the
> interview stage if you've properly screened applicants.

So, when does this question get asked?

--
Galen deForest Boyer