Re: Oracle 9i transfer of data

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 07:51:01 +0200

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> Why use XML, if you can insert directly using database links.
> IMO, this is just as cumbersome as your flat file communication.

Martin, I agree with Sybrand here.

You should choose a method or technology to solve a problem. Not because it is perceived to be the proper way as it contains a buzzword.

What will XML file exchange address and solve in your situation? What complexities and problems will it introduce? What will it do to the size of the data set you are pushing across?

It is much easier doing a CREATE TABLE AS UNRECOVERABLE SELECT and pull that data down a dblink.

If the data is sizeable (running into a GB plus I would say), then you existing method is the best. Just add a compress (zip) to it and send a compressed file across the network via FTP. If you're running Unix, uses pipes too. This will speed up the process and run the zipping/unzipping and unload/load in parallel.

XML is great. When it is applied correctly for the right thing in the right environment doing the right job. Like creating grammer rule definition files for SAPI5's speech recognition. It is friggen kewl.

Using XML to push data between to local boxes just because XML is a buzzword and seems kewl to others when used for something _totally_ different... that is a Serious And Big Mistake (tm). IMO.

--
Billy