Re: Market Share (was: Wrapped PLSQL)

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: 30 Oct 2002 17:29:01 -0600

Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote in news:PkZv9.1647 $hD4.121960590_at_newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

>> Sorry I wasn't clear Karsten... what I meant by "Oracle wasn't on the
>> radar" was that market share wise, Sybase owned the market.

> True ... but "market share" is open to interpretation.

Not at that time ... it was very clear. Ah how the climate changes! <g> It's easier to become DB agnostic!

> Witness the
> recent (May 2002) acquisition of Ingress by IBM. Right after that, IBM
> claimed to have passed Oracle in market share ... to which Oracle cried
> "foul" (because IBM included mainframes and Oracle is weak in that
> arena). See "IBM steals database crown from Oracle"
> (http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/05/08/020508hnibmontop.xml).

Yah, was here for the hoopla that followed that one ...

> So I tend to leave those arguments to the marketing types ... of which,
> thankfully, I am not a member.

I must admit, I was once in Technical Marketing ... this makes me a marketing puke and a 'wanna-be' engineer in 'real' engineer's eyes. <g>

Phew, admission is part of the way to recover right?

Later!

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com