Re: Wrapped PLSQL

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:28:44 GMT

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
> Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in

>>Sold?

> Yes, Sybase Inc sold version 4.x (I think it was 4.2 or 4.9) to
> Microsoft. This was when Sybase was the big bad wolf out in the RDBMS
> market. Oracle wasn't on the radar. Sybase got cocky, sold it to
> them, then blew it with System 10, Oracle came in and ... as they say
> .. the rest is history.

Being a wee bit interested in history, I thought I might look up this subject.

  1. 1977. Oracle wasn't the new kid on the block. In fact, Oracle was the *first* company to release a commercial RDBMS after Dr. Codd defined what that is. See http://www.oracle.com/corporate/index.html?story.html.
  2. 1984. Sybase came on the scene. See http://www.sybase.com/about_sybase.
  3. 1988. Microsoft and Ashton-Tate announced Microsoft SQL Server, based on the RDBMS licensed from Sybase.
  4. 1994. Microsoft and Sybase end partnership.