Re: Null Field Displays Value

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:16:05 +0100

On 30 Oct 2002 11:28:28 -0800, robert.b.clodfelter_at_verizon.com (Ben Clodfelter) wrote:

>I have a table that has a number field that is nullable. There are 3
>records in the field. The number field is null in every record. If I
>select all records from the table where the number field is NULL it
>returns 3 rows and displays the number field as null. If I select all
>of the fields from the table specifying each field name the number
>field is displayed with the letter n in it.
>
>Select number_field from mytable where number_field is NULL;
>
>This returns the null value
>
>select abc, number_field, xyz from mytable;
>
>This displays an 'n' in the number_field column.
>
>Has anyone seen this before.
>
>TIA
Never seen this before. Also, you always need to post a platform and version (no one keeps track of the version you are using). In this particular case it also necessary to post the *actual* statement and the *actual* output, and any column settings you have made, rather than paraphasing your problem, as your problem in its current description is very hard to reproduce.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Oct 30 2002 - 14:16:05 CST