Re: Wrapped PLSQL

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: 30 Oct 2002 09:54:30 -0600

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com> wrote in news:hSRv9.176689$%d2.60765_at_sccrnsc01:

> No I don't believe they want to clone Oracle. Just saying they
> don't actually invent a lot of things themselves. They don't do a
> lot of original work (which is what Sybrand is suggesting).

I think you might have misread what Sybrand wrote. He specifically said that MSoft would want to build an Oracle clone. There is no compelling business case put forward as to why this would be the case:

Sybrand wrote:

        They have been purposively wrapped as not to give away some
        crown jewels, and to avoid to have Bill Gates build an Oracle
        clone.

On the other front, we could go on and talk about whether MSoft invents or doesn't invent a lot of things themselves but that's a different thread than this one.

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com