Re: Rename a Oracle table

From: Hans Erik Busk <tbf_at_cn.stam.dk>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:14:45 +0100

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:23:09 GMT, Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com> wrote:

>Wouldn't it be nice if http://www.oracle.com had a link to their online
>doc set? How many novices know that they have to substitute 'tahiti' for
>'www'? Then maybe we wouldn't have to point newbies to the manuals. If I
>were a newbie, I'd go to Oracle's home page first ... and find little
>other than marketing ... er, stuff.
>
>Wouldn't it be nice if Oracle hired an Index Wizard ... someone who knew
>how to make an index that had every keyword I might think of to look up
>something? I know making an index is an art, but Oracle hasn't quite
>mastered it yet. (In their defense, neither have half the book publishers).
>
>I'm like Howard, trying to find out how to get my full menus back (but
>mine was in WinME). I remember trying to find "virtual private database"
>after reading a blurb in a trade magazine ... but didn't know it was the
>new marketing name for fine-grained access control ... which is a rename
>of row-level security.
>
>Wouldn't it be nice if the Search feature of the online manuals was a
>bit smarter? I searched for "rename table" in my 8i set and at the top
>of the list was the SQL Reference Index (okay, that might do). Then
>there are "Managing Schema Objects" (good possibility). Weighing in at
>95% ranking are the Error Messages (don't think I'll check that) and
>Partititoned Tables (doesn't sound promising). Farther down the list, at
>84% rank, I finally see the ALTER TABLE statement in the SQL Ref (of
>course, that's the place to look). But my choice of which manual to read
>is based on having read many of the other references already.
>
>I can just imagine how frustrating it would be if I were just starting
>out in the Oracle world and trying to find what I'm looking for in the
>FM. In the old days, I could walk up to the bookcase where all the paper
>versions of the manuals were ... pull out one that looked promising and
>flip thru some pages. Kinda hard to do the same thing in a web browser.
>
>Just my 42 cents worth (2 cents adjusted for inflation).

I agree completely, One thing on my wishlist is to have all error messages available as an Oracle table.
I find it extremely odd that a database company doesn't use their magnificent engine for a purpose like that. In the windows environment there is no easy way of interpreting error messages, except grabbing for the book, and still many messages (concerning Net) is not covered.

Odd !
Hans Erik Busk Received on Wed Oct 30 2002 - 03:14:45 CST