Re: could not log into database

From: Andy <andy.spaven_at_eps-hq.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:32:12 -0000

Uwe

If you need to be able to recover the database at any time then you need the archived log files so these need retaining until you have another consistent backup. If there is insufficient room to retain these on disk you'll need a scheduled task to move them to tape before deleting them from the disk. It's likely you already have a task running on a daily basis (or you'd not normally see 25GB free) - just make this task more frequent (so long as it's not just a delete).

If you do need to be able to recover the database then you need to be aware that loosing a disk that consititutes all or part of the filesystem in question will loose you the data files and the archived log files you need to recover from (unless the archived logs are also being written somewhere else either using mirrored disks or Oracles multiple archive destination feature). Having the archived logs and data files on one filesystem isn't a particularly robust solution :-). You might want to move the archive destination to another disk.

If on the other hand you do not need to recover this database (if it's an unimportant development / scratch system) then turn the archiving off. That way no more archived logs will be produced.

Andy