Re: Oracle Management Server Login Problems

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 06:02:32 +1100

"Hari Om" <hari_om_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d1d5ebe4.0210291012.3ca4c8a8_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi Experts!
>
> I have a question regarding Oracle Enterprise Manager(OEM). When I
> start OEM, it ask for 2 options namely:
> 1)Launch Standalone
> 2)Login to Oracle Management Server (OMS)
>
> I was just wondering when do we use which on....I mean when to use
> first option and when to use 2nd option.

Use the first one when it is possible to make a direct connection to the database, when you don't want to schedule jobs or events, and when you don't mind only managing the database and not the listener, node, the http server or other things. Also use the standalone option when you don't want to go the bother of creating a repository database and launching the management server. And also feel free to use it standalone when you have no intention of using Enterprise Manager to do backups. And finally feel free to use it standalone when you don't want to perform management over the web or via a browser interface.

But if you want to use it for jobs, events, backup, managing listeners and http servers, or access it over the web, then you have to use it in full-blown Management Server mode.

> Also when I try to log in to OMS and enter following information:
> Administrator: system
> Passowrd: manager
> Management Server: MY_IP_ADDRESS_OF_DB_SERVER
> I get following Error Message wonder why:
> VTK-1000 Unable to connect to OMS

Because, I expect, you haven't actually created a repository database or started the management server (which, on NT boxes, is actually a service). You need to run the Enterprise Manager Configuration Assistant to do all of that.

And when you do, be aware that you are logging in to the Management Service, not a database. So SYSTEM and MANAGER is not the appropriate login: you'll log in to a properly configured OMS with the username SYSMAN and the initial password will be OEM_TEMP. You are required to change that password the first time you log in.

Regards
HJR