Re: Oracle CPU_COUNT

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Oct 2002 10:40:35 -0800

carol.mcalear_at_pulsion.co.uk (Carol) wrote in message news:<5fdaf21e.0210290302.7236cfa3_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi
>
> I have a Compaq DL580 server with 2 Xeon P1.7 processors; the server
> is set up with hyper threading. I have installed Win2K Advanced
> Server and Oracle 9.0.2 running a live database. When I open task
> manager it appears that I have 4 processors and they are all getting
> used. I checked oracles CPU_COUNT and it is set at 4. My question is
>
> Will I see a performance improvement if I turn off the hyper threading
> and change the CPU_COUNT to 2?
>
> I have read that it is not recommended to change the CPU_COUNT would I
> be better uninstalling and re-installing oracle and let it pick this
> up for itself or is there another option, I can afford to have the
> database down for a weekend?

I found Note:264086.995 on Metalink. It looks like Oracle CPU_COUNT is whatever OS's logical CPUs. The only thing that matters may be licensing. Why do you think performance would improve if you disable hyperthreading? I would think the opposite. But I'm interested to know what you'll find out if you do a benchmark.

BTW, disabling hyperthreading is done in BIOS.

Yong Huang Received on Tue Oct 29 2002 - 12:40:35 CST