Re: How to make Oracle use all CPUs on SUN

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 29 Oct 2002 16:54:37 GMT

dmx_frank_at_yahoo.com (Frank Y) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Background information:
> SUNFire 450 server with 4 CPUs,2GB RAM
> Solaris 2.8
> Oracle 8.1.7 with typical installation.
>
> I have a query join on four table with a lot of extenal procedure
> calls (some computational work for each row of data).

Are these external procedure calls in the form of a domain index?

> When I execute this query, the first CPU will be 100% used, and other
> user's query will be 4 times slower than before.

What type of other queries? Ones that use the same extproc as the large query? Or pure oracle internal queries?

> But other CPUs
> remain very low(below 10 %) utilization. It seems Oracle only use one
> CPU to process all queries.

If you run 4 'other' queries simultaneously while the problematic query is not running, what do the CPUs do?

> I wonder how can make Oracle use all 4 CPUs resource. Is there any
> configuration in Oracle must be set? Or any thing can be done at OS
> level?

I'd guess the external agent is the bottleneck. Is it licensed to run on more than CPU? Is it configured to?

Xho

                    Usenet Newsgroup Service