Re: Rename a Oracle table

From: Tim Kearsley <tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk>
Date: 29 Oct 2002 02:41:04 -0800

"M Hashim" <m.a.n.hashim_at_sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<kynv9.2081$qD2.489790_at_news20.bellglobal.com>...
> "Too many newcomers are just too lazy to query the manual."
> Agreed...
> Just PLAIN too many...there must be some established rules in which
> answers/help are provided.

But surely this can be self-regulating can't it?

If you feel that a question is "too simple" for this newsgroup (and that in itself is an arbitrary definition isn't it?) then don't respond. If all the experts feel the same then the question poster will get no answers. Simple. Less bandwidth wasted than with a little clutch of "Go away" or "Stop wasting our time" messages and the poster will then probably go and do some research. Of course someone may decide to answer, in which case what harm's done? The only person to have "wasted" their time is the person providing the answer. Or do the "experts" want a comp.databases.oracle.dummy newsgroup creating to ensure that this one is kept "pure"? Remember that what YOU regard as trivial may be, at this moment, a major stumbling block for someone else.

The point really is that when you are starting out and trying to learn, sometimes you don't KNOW what to look for in a manual It's the old problem of having to know that something exists before you can look up references to it.

Still, why should we be surprised at attitudes from some, elitism seems to creep into every aspect of life doesn't it?

Tim Kearsley Received on Tue Oct 29 2002 - 04:41:04 CST