Re: Insufficient Privileges

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 18:51:59 +1100

The reason, as others have said, is that SYSTEM is not a privilged user, and therefore cannot claim the 'as sysdba' privileges at connect time.

Where I disagree with the other advice given by the other replies to your post is that SYSTEM should NOT be granted the SYSDBA privilege, which would make your connection request work.

SYSTEM is a very powerful user. He has the DBA Role, which means he can practically do anything on the database, as is, and without special intervention. What he cannot do is exercise the SYSDBA privilege, which allows someone to startup, shutdown, backup, recover or create a database. And that's exactly as things should be, because that's what the SYS account is for.

I believe you should maintain the distinction between someone who is GOD and someone who is merely seated at the right hand of the Father. Granting SYSDBA to SYSTEM removes that distinction, and is -imho- an extremely bad idea.

Regards