Re: Insufficient Privileges

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:10:42 +1000

Hi Hari,

The "problem" is that system has not been granted sysdba privileges (or at least Oracle doesn't know that system has not been granted sysdba privileges). You need to :

  1. Create a password file in order to store these special dudes. As you are using OEM, you can only authenticate sysdba/sysoper users via this password file. To create a password file, check out the ORAPWD utility (eg. orapwd file=$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapwBOWIE.ora password=bowie entries=10)
  2. Ensure the remote_login_passwordfile parameter is set to exclusive.
  3. Grant sysdba to system (by a user who already has sysdba privileges). This will store system in the password file.

Now when logging in to OEM with sysdba privileges, Oracle knows to suz out the password file and upon finding system will say "go for it ..."

Good Luck

Richard