ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

From: Hari Om <hari_om_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Oct 2002 15:10:54 -0800

Hi Experts:

I have installed Oracle DB on my IBM AIX 5.1 Server. On my Client machines (which are windows ofcourse!) I have installed Oracle Client.

Later when I start my SQLPLUS and enter following: connect gauri/khar_at_gaurikits as sysdba
I get following error:
ERROR: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

Where->
Username=gauri
password=khar
SID = gaurikits

My TNSNAMES.ORA file (on client) has following:

GAURIKITS =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP) (HOST=my_domain_name)(POSRT=1521)))
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = gaurikits)
(SERVER = DEDICATED))

)

Can anyone tell me how to eliminate that Error? However, when I connect with following String, I DO NOT get any Error. It just works fine:
connect gauri/khar_at_gaurikits

THANKS! Received on Mon Oct 28 2002 - 17:10:54 CST