Re: How to RTFM

From: Georg Scholz <georg.scholz_at_vienna.at>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:57:26 GMT

You didn't quote me completely.

I added to my post: if some DBA professional thinks a question is "too stupid", then either (s)he should ignore it or at least it would help to tell us WHERE to look up.

Just as you actually did now, Niall.
Thank you for your link.

As a newbie, you often need some basic hints, then you can go along for quite some time.

I agree, on the other side, that some people are tempted to "just ask", instead of prior looking up the information they seek.

However, in order to decide whether someone is really a newbie, or is just too lazy, you have to know that person for some while. It's not appropriate to tell someone "go to hell" after his/her first question to a newsgroup...

Georg

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3dbd3b95$0$8512$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...

> "It's very easy to say "RTFM", but what if the manual actually consists of
> *** 23 *** Volumes (Oracle 8.1.7), some of them being 1000+ pages?
>
> As a beginner, you sometimes even don't know where to look up."
>
> Which isn't an entirely unreasonable comment. Fortunately Oracle
Corporation