Problem : Oracle 8i Patch Set for HP-UX

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:26:25 +0200

I am trying to find the 8.1.7.4. patch set for 32bit Oracle 8.1.7.4 on a HP 9000 platform running 64bit HP-UX B.11.

I've scoured Metalink and downloaded three patch sets. The first two seems identical, but classified as separate downloads by Metalink (it is called something like are HPUX11 and HPX32 respectively).

This is what these two patch set says (yeah, this is from the readme): Oracle 8i Data Server Patch Set for HP-UX32 Hardware Platform : HP 9000 Series
Operating System : HP-UX 11.0
RDBMS Baseline : Release 8.1.7.0.0

Both fail to load in Oracle Universal Installer, giving the error message "Invalid staging area. There are no top level component for HP 9000 Series HP-UX available from this staging area".

After I tried both these downloads, I downloaded the following: (again from the readme)
Oracle 8i Data Server Patch Set for HP-UX 64 Hardware Platform HP 9000 Series
Operating System HP-UX 11.0 (64-bit)
RDBMS Baseline Release 8.1.7.0.0

Gives the exact same error message.

Binary FTP downloads. Unzips fine. The patch sets un-tars correctly. There are no tar errors. I do point the installer to the applicable products.jar.

I have not found any other patch sets for HP-UX 8.1.7.4 on Metalink... so I'm assuming that one of these three are the correct one.

The HP box says when running a uname:
HP-UX <hostname> B.11.00 U 9000/800 <machine-id> unlimited-user license

Current Oracle version on this platform is 8.1.7.0 32bit (confirmed via v_$version). Current Oracle executable is a PA-RISC1.1.

Any ideas how to get my head extracted from my backside and make this patchset work? :-)

--
Billy