Re: Resource Manager on 8i: an underestimated tool or what ?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 27 Oct 2002 17:30:55 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<0DOu9.63414$g9.177683_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...

>snip...

> All anecdotal, of course.... Point being, if you get into developing fancy
> plans, it can all end up being sufficient rope with which to hang yourself.

I think the problem is that many have considered RM as some form of performance 'fix-it'. Which it isn't. In fact, a good way of ensuring a slow job will run even slower is to use the RM. It won't fix a bad plan. What it will do is stop that job from killing the system for everybody else. That is not bad but may be not what people expect it to do.

> Actually, if you had 9i, I'd consider it worth investigating for its ability
> not to start jobs the optimiser predicts will take too long.

Yup, my feelings too. 8i is a bit 'raw' in this area...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam Received on Sun Oct 27 2002 - 19:30:55 CST