Re: Multiple Homes & Oracle Patch Testing

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 15:10:34 GMT

On 25 Oct 2002 05:58:23 -0700, mngong_at_yahoo.com (michael ngong) wrote:

>Hi Michael,
>do you specify the instance or the Oracle Home? From what I read in
>the patch instructions you tell it which Oracle Home (excerpt from
>instructions follows):
>

>You do have to specify the Oracle instance.If not then how would you
>be able to decide which instance to patch since a patch has to be done
>one instance at a time.
>Under any circumstance in a multi-instance box you do need to specify
>the instance name at any time you want to start up any instance which
>is different from the one listed first on /etc/oratab
>

>...This posts take a couple of hours to appear and you have had some
>good responses.Hopefully by the time you get this your issue should
>have been resolved
>
>Best Wishes
>Michael Tubuo Ngong......

I guess that depends on what you mean by 'applying the patch'. When you get a patchset from Oracle and run it, that is the Oracle software that is being installed to an Oracle home. And that will impact all instances that run under that Oracle, regardless of what else you do or do not do. So, I'd say 'No, the patch is applied to the Oracle home.'

Now, after the patch is applied, you need to re-run CATALOG, CATPROC, and possibly some other procedures against every instance that runs from that Oracle home.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)