Detecting events in oracle. Transmitting them to java client

From: Simon Harvey <ReplyToGroup_at_thanks.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 19:31:19 +0100

Hi all,

I was hoping that someone might be able to give me a bit of advice about how to achieve something in oracle.

I have a number of clients that need to be notified of key events happening with the database. In other words, I need a server event handler to pus info to clients rather than have the clients constantly polling for information that might not be there.

My question is what are my options as to the:

Detection of events by the server: My immediate thought was that i should learn plsql and how to make some triggers. Someone suggested rather cryptically that i have another choice.? Does anyone know the best way?

Tranmission of events to the clients: The clients will be written in java because thats the language that I'm most familiar with. Does anyone have suggestionsas to how oracle could communicate with a simple lightweight java client? I'm looking into sockets just now and i can "pull" info by using jdbc, but that sort of client pull situation is exactly what i am trying to avoid.

Any advice at all on this would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance for sharing!!

Take care

Simon Received on Sat Oct 26 2002 - 13:31:19 CDT