Re: Why ORA-1555 snapshot too old.

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 00:55:24 +0100

Chuck.
The developer hasn't done

    'set transaction read only'
before the loop has he ?

I can't imagine any way that you can get ORA-1555 if you are correct in your statement that

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____USA__________November 7/9   (Detroit)
____USA__________November 19/21 (Dallas)
____England______November 12/14

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Chuck wrote in message ...

>One of my developers is trying to query a 45g table that is
constantly being
>insert into. He wants to get a count of rows that meet a certain
criteria.
>Of couse he got ORA-1555 snapshot too old. I told him to query
smaller
>sections of the table and total up the counts for the individual
sections so
>he wrote a PL/SQL block to do that. It loops through table selecting
1000
>rows at a time. Each of these queries finishes in seconds but he is
still
>getting ora-1555 though. Why? According to Oracle's documentation
under the
>"set transaction" command they use"statement-level read consistency".
Isn't