Re: Getting interesting info about an Oracle instance

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:55:27 GMT

Simon Harvey wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Ihope someone will be able to help with this one as I'm still a bit scared
> of oracle!!
>
> I'm doing a project for my final year at university that will create a tool
> like toad, that can alert dba's of problems with the database. But I dont
> know what tables to monitor!
>
> Could anyone suggest the names of some tables that will give me interesting
> facts about the datasbase.Nothing fancy.
>
> Perhaps the current number of logins, the load on the processor or system in
> general. I suppose you clever oracle types would be able to tell me we what
> sort of things you would find useful from a tool like thins. I'm also hoping
> to aloow the user to enter his or her own sql so that he or she isnt limited
> by the the functions i provide.
>
> Another thing I'm wondering is, is PL/SQL the best (and only) way to detect
> events or warnign levels in the database? Can anyone think of a better
> solution?
>
> My sincerest thanks to anyone who can offer some advice on this matter.
>
> Take Care All
>
> Simon Harvey

The advice you have received from the others is good.

But I am motivated to ask why you have chosen to do something with a tool that can be done completely within the database witout need to resort to any tool?

Daniel Morgan
http://www.extension.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp Received on Fri Oct 25 2002 - 12:55:27 CDT