Re: standby database with RAC cluster?

From: Rick Anderson <Richard.Anderson_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 05:56:11 -0400

Wijbrand,

This works just fine, and is actually the typical implementation for most databases.
The multiple primary instances simply send all archivelogs to the single standby
instance, where the Managed Recovery is running. This is fairly straight-forward.
A standby database is not really considered a RAC or non-RAC database, since recovery can only run on a single instance, anyways.

The "gotcha" to watch out for is, after a switchover or failover, you have a single-instance "new" primary that has multiple *enabled* threads. Since the new primary is not a RAC database, you will need to disable unused threads; otherwise, they will be archived just like the active threads, but with a slight
lag that might delay the recovery of the "new" standby database.

Hope this helps.

Rick