Re: ORACLE DBA questions for INTERVIEW

From: D.Y. <dyou98_at_aol.com>
Date: 24 Oct 2002 14:02:28 -0700

If you are trying to fill a junior level position, it's perfectly OK to bring a list of SQLPLUS, SQL, PL/SQL, and basic DBA questions to the interview and ask the candidate to answer them. You just want to make sure the person you bring in can start doing some work. For this purpose you can just take some examples from the Oracle manuals.

If you are filling a senior level position you don't want to waste too much time on the basic stuff. For this type of candidates I always start by asking them to describe a couple of the major projects they designed and implemented, some of the difficult problems they encountered, and how they solved those problems. During this process I would ask questions and get into some of the details to find out if they have a good understanding of the features, development techniques, performance considerations, etc. that were involved in their projects.

Also consider some non-technical aspects of the candidate such as personality, attitude, whether you feel they can come in and learn the things they need to learn to become an important part of the team, or if you want someone who smokes or likes to go to happy hours, etc.