Licensing on different platforms

From: Bitt Faulk <wfaulk_at_dot.state.nc.us>
Date: 24 Oct 2002 13:21:47 -0700

I was hoping someone could tell me if an Oracle license for a 4 CPU (currently, 8 max) HPUX machine would be the same as an Oracle license for a 4 CPU (currently, 8 max) Solaris machine.

I'm in a bind where I need to evaluate both platforms in relation to Oracle and another proprietary app, and the vendor is required to purchase the Oracle license, but won't (obviously) purchase two, just for me to test. In addition, my organization apparently has a contract with Oracle that prohibits us from using Oracle's 30-day eval license.

So if the license is transferrable between HPUX and Solaris, then I could just get them to purchase it now and install it on each machine (only one running at a time, and one or the other to be sent back in a few weeks, anyway).

--
Bitt Faulk