Re: Manual DB Creation and TNS Problem on IBM-AIX (UNIX) System

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:02:24 GMT

Manoj G. Kithany wrote:
> Hi ORAPERTS (ORAcle exPERTS),
>
> I am using Oracle 9 on IBM AIX (Unix) System.
> I created 1 DB (gauri) using DBCA and other DB (test) MANUALLY using
> Create Database.
>
> When I try to Connect to GAURI DB - it works fine - no probs. BUT,
> when I try to connect to my TEST Database - it gives following error:
> SQL> conn system/manager_at_test as sysdba;
> ERROR: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
>
> What is this error about? I checked my TNSNAMES.ORA file and did'nt
> find any entry for my TEST Database but did see an entry for GAURI
> database.... What is the solution to this problem. Does this mean that
> one has to MANUALLY ADD an entry to TNSNAMES.ORA file whenever you
> create DB MANUALLY?
>
> Any information on this would be very helpful.
>
> THANKS!

You don't *have* to do it manually. There's a Java GUI utility that ($ORACLE_HOME/bin/netasst on Unix) ... but you have to run it from a GUI (such as Motif or whatever). But depending on your comfort level with any Unix editor (I prefer vi), you can easily add a new entry. Just mark/copy all lines beginning with 'GAURI =' and ending with the final right parens, then paste it and change all GUARI to TEST (maybe change the host also if you put it on another server).

With most Unix systems, you have to do a lot of manual things anyhow ... so just add this to your list. :) Received on Thu Oct 24 2002 - 15:02:24 CDT