Manual DB Creation and TNS Problem on IBM-AIX (UNIX) System

From: Manoj G. Kithany <manojkithany_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Oct 2002 12:24:33 -0700

Hi ORAPERTS (ORAcle exPERTS),

I am using Oracle 9 on IBM AIX (Unix) System. I created 1 DB (gauri) using DBCA and other DB (test) MANUALLY using Create Database.

When I try to Connect to GAURI DB - it works fine - no probs. BUT, when I try to connect to my TEST Database - it gives following error:

SQL> conn system/manager_at_test as sysdba; ERROR: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

What is this error about? I checked my TNSNAMES.ORA file and did'nt find any entry for my TEST Database but did see an entry for GAURI database.... What is the solution to this problem. Does this mean that one has to MANUALLY ADD an entry to TNSNAMES.ORA file whenever you create DB MANUALLY?

Any information on this would be very helpful.

THANKS! Received on Thu Oct 24 2002 - 14:24:33 CDT