Re: Oracle User License .... Help Me, please !!!

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:28:45 +0100

"Juan Miguel" <juanmime_at_teleline.es> wrote in message news:0_Et9.1085452$sI1.8663739_at_telenews.teleline.es...
> Thanks everybody.
>
> I write to the group, after a large telephone call to the Oracle client
area
> in my country (sorry about my bad translation into english). After that, I
> think that a single database user (logic user, created in the DB with
CREATE
> USER), can has several simultaneus connections from diferents PCs to the
DB.
> Therefore I only need a single user license.

This is incorrect, If you are licensing by user you need a license for each individual who will use the application you develop, plus one for any application servers, monitoring programs etc. Note that you only need one license per user , however many Oracle applications or servers they access. This is the broad principle which is only (needlessly) complicated by the fact that you have to buy 5 user licenses for every processor that you are running Oracle on (assuming standard edition). The definition is below.

"Named User Plus: is defined as an individual authorized by you to use the programs which are installed on a single server or multiple servers, regardless of whether the individual is actively using the programs at any given time. A non human operated device will be counted as a named user plus in addition to all individuals authorized to use the programs, if such devices can access the programs"

The alternative is for you to license by processor. Here unlimited numbers of users can access the programs, but you need a single license for each CPU that is running Oracle.

"Processor: shall be defined as all processors where the Oracle programs are installed and/or running. Programs licensed on a Processor basis may be accessed by your internal users (including agents and contractors) and by your third party users. "

Oracle do not seem to have a Spanish language version of the oracle store site http://store.oracle.com

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA