Re: database privileges

From: Karen Abgarian <abvk_at_ureach.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 07:07:00 GMT

There is a script a dba can run to grant privileges for some V$ tables. That allows developers to obtain information about, say, sessions, statements,
however, they ask dbas for SELECT ANY TABLE anyway.

Public really does not need anything else. On specific circumstances, some
object privileges may be granted to public as a convenience, to avoid granting
them directly to users.

A user only needs CREATE SESSION to start working. They usually give them a CONNECT role or its equivalent which allows to create table, and a quota for the default tablespace. IMO, it makes sense to allow them to

create tables and like because they can drop them without any privileges at all.
What you want to grant to them will, of course, vary, depending on your configuration.