Re: Multiple Homes & Oracle Patch Testing

From: Glen Moffitt <gd.moffitt_at_verizon.net>
Date: 23 Oct 2002 20:28:34 -0700

Hi Karsten,

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I did not explain myself very well, plus I misunderstand the Oracle multi-home concept. I certainly don't want to run different versions of Oracle on one box. Just multiple installs of the same oracle version. One would be a production, the other home install to be used to test among other things Oracle patch releases. The following is from the Oracle 8i install document:

"Using multiple Oracle homes and OFA provides many advantages when administering large databases. The following advantages are the most important:

Databases are easier to administer because of the structured organization of directories and files, and the consistent naming used for database files.

A reduction of performance bottlenecks and improved safeguards against disk failures, because input/output (I/O) can be distributed across a number of disks.

**Software upgrades can be tested in an Oracle home in a separate directory from the Oracle home where your production database is located. "

The last paragraph above is what I'm interested in, does this concept work well in practice? If not then I'd want to do the Oracle patch testing on a completely separate box.

Glen Moffitt